Topic: Masculinity, Stereotypes, and Dating
Dating in the gay community comes with stereotypes, titles, and categories. Masc 4 Masc, twinks, hunks, otters, bears, daddies – the list goes on! We idolize the perfect male physique, but so many of us don’t resemble the models. We place importance on being masculine, while femininity is reflected in much of our culture. We have a label for everything, but not everyone fits into a specific category. This month we will discuss the paradox of masculinity and labels in gay culture and how that affects the world of dating.
1. What category of gay labels do you fit in?
2. How has dating changed for you over the years?
3. Is there a spectrum to masculinity?
4. How does an environment affect your masculinity?
5. Is dating easier or harder in today’s culture versus previous decades?
6. Are heteronormative ideals about dating reflected in gay culture?
Date: January 17, 2018
Time: 7:30 – 9:00pm
Location: West Hollywood Library, Community Conference Room – Park Level
625 North San Vicente Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(Validated parking is available in the 5 story parking structure – park on level 3 for easy access to the room)